Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Parks Gets Council Majority in Bid for "Sup's" Seat!


Campaign Picks Up Key Endorsements With Strong Labor Support

Today(5/28) I, Councilmember Bernard C. Parks, Candidate for Supervisor, gained the endorsements of the majority of my colleagues on the Los Angeles City Council. The endorsements were announced at a news conference outside of City Hall. In attendance were: Councilmembers Eric Garcetti, Jan Perry, Tony Cardenas, Janice Hahn, Tom LaBonge, Bill Rosendahl and Herb Wesson. Fellow supporter, Councilmember Greig Smith could not attend due to a previous engagement.


With the bulk of this latest string of endorsers having strong ties to labor, it seems my opponents' portrayal of me as someone who is not sensitive to unions, rent control or affordable housing is simply campaign rhetoric.


Today, we put an end to all the myths. My colleagues who endorsed me have all strongly and routinely supported the rights and needs of working men and women, and so have I. As Budget and Finance Committee Chair, I have voted for salary increases, and as an LAPD officer, I was a member of a union for 38 years.


"Bernard Parks is a man who doesn't tell you what you want to hear," said City Council President Eric Garcetti. "He is a man who tells you what you need to hear, and through his career with the police department and now with the City Council, he has proven that he has the courage to lead."


These endorsements add to the ongoing momentum of the Bernard C. Parks for Supervisor campaign. Yesterday I received the endorsement of the
Los Angeles Times. And, just last week, Lakers Legend and entrepreneur Earvin "Magic" Johnson joined my team.

No comments: