Friday, June 6, 2008

The Campaign will Continue



Dear Friends:

I want to thank you for your friendship and support during the Primary campaign for County Supervisor and hope to count on you for continuing support as we head to a November 5 runoff.

My opponent threw everything and the kitchen sink at my candidacy, and I am still standing today. The people of this district were turned off by Ridley-Thomas’ negative campaign tactics against me and now, the people want a campaign based on issues.

Issues like health care, including re-opening King/Drew Hospital, the economy, and public safety. With gas prices and food prices at an all time high, and gang violence on the rise, we need to talk about what we will do for the constituents of L.A. County.

While I was disappointed by the low voter turnout on June 3, I am not at all discouraged by the results. The fact is; we were outspent by a six-to-one margin in an election that saw a 17% turnout. The opposition spent $97 for each vote it received. Put another way, they spent $5.5 million to receive 45% of 125,000 votes. Given the intensity and focused effort of the opposition, and the extraordinary volume of personal attack mailers against me, I view that number as their ceiling and not their floor.

Voters in November will evaluate us – not by how many negative hit pieces we mail, but by how many thousands of district residents we will help rise from the depths of poverty and dependency to find jobs for themselves, and a future for their families

So I am excited by our prospects. I will work as hard as I possibly can over the next five months and will continue to pound home the issues. Again, I value your friendship and support and greatly appreciate all the help you have given me. In looking forward, I ask for your continued support. Donations are needed now more than ever, so please visit our website at: http://parksforsupervisor.com/action/donate.php

We must have a Supervisor who will represent your best interests at heart. With your continuing support, I am confident I will be the next Supervisor of the 2nd District.

Gratefully,

No comments: